# Collaborative content creation with HedgeDoc
Accompanying pad for the pre-recorded session at [LINK]. Shown April 28, 2022 at [#OER22](https://altc.alt.ac.uk/oer22/)
## Author and contact
Axel Dürkop, Hamburg University of Technology (TUHH), Institut für Technische Bildung und Hochschuldidaktik; Hamburg Open Online University (HOOU)
Being able to collaborate is claimed to be a core skill, for students as well as for teachers. Besides the concrete how-to of using tools that enable collaboration, there is also a learning curve in how to work together collaboratively on the social level (e.g. Scager et al., 2016).
Good experience tackling these socio-technical challenges was gained with the free and open source tool HedgeDoc over the last three years (HedgeDoc, 2022). Compared to collaborative writing tools of big ICT players HedgeDoc is closer to a web page than to an office document and thus enables the (re)mixing of rich media sources of various kinds as well as easy publishing on the web.
- [HedgeDoc demo instance](https://demo.hedgedoc.org/)
- [HedgeDoc presentation used in the video](https://writemd.rz.tuhh.de/p/YchqaoMRH#/)
- [Source of the HedgeDoc presentation used in the video](https://writemd.rz.tuhh.de/phut4GxFR0ep00fa-PHasw?both)
### Introducing HedgeDoc
- [Example document used in the presentation](https://writemd.rz.tuhh.de/1pIdtDqyR0iKoCwaJWLgcw?both)
- [Published version](https://writemd.rz.tuhh.de/s/2Jp_7jSve)
- [CreativeCommons license tool](https://creativecommons.org/choose/)
- Service [Embed responsively](https://embedresponsively.com/)
### 2: Developing learning material together
Good experience in learning to collaborate with HedgeDoc was also gained in developing online course material with a team of staff members at Hamburg Open Online University (HOOU). In a process of rapid prototyping the teaching idea with HedgeDoc, frequent discussions and with an open and agile mindset, colleagues supported each other, before the result was transferred to an LMS. On the way, a shared understanding of teaching and learning, values and ideas was developed among the group members.
- [Collaborative pad for the preparation of "CollaborativeIdeation"](https://writemd.rz.tuhh.de/7jzMcgBNRZ-mBntUfQL4Mw?view#Chroniken-der-%E2%80%9CWelt-der-Ideen%E2%80%9D)
- [Final learning arrangement "CollaborativeIdeation"](https://www.hoou.de/projects/collaborative-ideation/pages/lehreinheit-1-grundlagen)
- [Example of a website-like pad](https://writemd.rz.tuhh.de/s/Z07LTDoG_#)
### 3: Collecting information with learners
HedgeDoc was used in a learning circle on AI and robotics in April/May 2021 based on the eponymous concept of the Peer 2 Peer University (P2PU, 2022). Participants discussed questions in video conferences which they brought up themselves, collected resources from the web and synchronously documented the discussion in a shared HedgeDoc online pad. Finally, participants agreed on a publication of the collaborative document as an open educational resource (Bauer et al, 2021).
- [P2PU - Peer 2 Peer University](https://www.p2pu.org/en/)
- [Learning Circle at HOOU](https://www.hoou.de/projects/learning-circles/preview)
- [Blog article](https://www.hoou.de/blog/mitgedacht-roboter-in-meinem-leben-und-jetzt-erfahrungsbericht-zum-ersten-learning-circle-in-hamburg)
- [Published book](https://doi.org/10.15480/882.3643)
Bauer, S., Dürkop, A., Fahrenkrog, G., Köhncke, M., Kranz, S. & Politt, S. (2021). Mitgedacht: Roboter in meinem Leben - und jetzt? : Documentation of a learning circle on robotics und AI. University library TU Hamburg. <https://doi.org/10.15480/882.3643>
HedgeDoc. (2022). HedgeDoc. The best platform to write and share markdown. Software. <https://github.com/hedgedoc/hedgedoc>
P2PU. (2022). About P2PU. <https://www.p2pu.org/en/about/>
Scager, K., Boonstra, J., Peeters, T., Vulperhorst, J., & Wiegant, F. (2016). Collaborative Learning in Higher Education: Evoking Positive Interdependence. CBE—Life Sciences Education, 15(4), ar69. https://doi.org/10.1187/cbe.16-07-0219